If you’ve reached this post, it likely means there is a massive snowstorm heading your way. Some of you may want to work from home to avoid shoveling your car out of the driveway. But is your company ready to have you work from home during a heavy snowstorm?
We’ve gathered a checklist for your technology in the event of an upcoming snowstorm.
• Monitor Systems Assign someone specific to constantly monitor your IT during this time. Test any system or technology that staff will rely on when working remotely.
• Monitor Building Power Usage Stay current on your building's power usage. Have contact information of the utility companies or building management handy should you experience power outages.
• Monitor Equipment Make sure key equipment is warm in case the power goes out. Computer equipment does not survive well in cold conditions. Take sensitive equipment home if you can do so safely and securely.
• Monitor Network Have the contact information of your hosting provider or Managed Services Provider handy. Quikteks number: (973) 882-4644.
• Monitor Backup Systems Make sure you have backed up all systems before you leave the office. Confirm that any data hosted externally (cloud hosting and/or systems hosted by vendors) are also backed up.
• Update Staff Send a mass email to your staff with instructions to remotely and securely access your network. Include the contact information of IT support company. Quikteks number: (973) 882-4644.
• Forward personal extensions to cellphones or instruct staff to set call forwarding on their phones.
• Update your voicemail greeting and email auto-reply to reflect working conditions.
• Check your voicemail and email often.
• Set expectations with staff for checking voicemail and email.
• Update your company's voicemail with current conditions and how to best contact staff. Use social media as appropriate to provide real-time updates.
• Know how to turn your cellphone into a hotspot in case you lose WiFi at home.
• Have a list of staff and key member contacts, including their cellphone numbers and email addresses. Ask your supervisor if you had not yet received one.
• Stay on top of incoming notifications or updates from executives or management.
• Have the contact number of your IT support ready. Quikteks number: (973) 882-4644.
• Have all your credentials handy including phone, laptop, email, remote desktop, any web-application accounts.
• Backup your immediate files to a local hard drive in case such as USB. When done, remember to move them back to the network when you return to the office.
• Never leave your laptop or other equipment in your car.
• Charge your power packs ahead of time.
• Grab A Blanket!
We can help create a disaster recovery plan that works for you and your business. Keep your files and communications secured and backed up no matter what threat comes your way.Call Quikteks at (973) 882-4644 or schedule a free network consultation.
Comments are closed.